Project Dissertation

I moved to this fabulous city three years ago mainly to; be near an airport for travel, be able to not trade my stilletos for trainers, and to finish my doctoral studies in four years. Yes, that pretty much sums up my priorities at 30. So now I am ABD with nine months to go and San Francisco is no easy city to ignore. Although, I would argue that each experience that deters my academic writing is really just needed inspiration. Welcome and I hope you enjoy...

My Photo
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

Bilingual, Bicultural, and Dual Citizen. J School B.A., M.A. in High Incidence Disabilities, & ABD in Education.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Queremos Rock

My friend and I were walking down the Haight for a study break and in the window I saw a shiny black Ramones lunch pail...So I quickly switched from sharing about the conference presentations to the Reseda Country Club.

When I was 14 the Ramones came to town. By that time my gradeschool friend and I had already attended the Cure concert at the Universal Amphitheater, so having a big band that got tons of airplay on KROQ down the street, was a huge deal.

So we convinced our cautious parents by agreeing to take one of her older brothers as a chaperone. It was a hot sweaty mosh pit kind of night. Not that I was in the mosh pit, but the interior of the entire club was packed wall to wall and the music was so loud it bounced off the walls onto the people. So everybody was in motion and singing or maybe more like yelling along.

When we got out we were drenched and reeked of smoke. We found a bootleg tshirt exactly like the one inside but half the price. We put our money together and bought them while we waited for our parents to pick us up at the corner gas station. I remember trying to sleep in that tshirt that night, but because they were such quality t's there was a very strong sort of toxic smell to them. It was the classic Ramones-t with the mock U.S. emblem crest.

When I walked back past the display on the Haight, I went in. It was the last one, with a thermos and everything.

This morning when I woke up I poured my coffee into my thermos and took Johnny, Joey, DeeDee, and Marky to work with me...


Post a Comment

<< Home